Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cornflakes

I woke up today with the hugest craving for cornflakes. CORNFLAKES?! I mean seriously, who ever craves plain old cornflakes? Apparently I do. Anyway, it got me to thinking about how we develop a taste for something over the years. We start out as babies who live on a solely fluids diet and then move on to...slightly flavored mush. Well, some of us. I happen to have a friend, whom I love dearly,  that for health and financial reasons decided that she was going to make all of her own baby food. I thought this was a great idea! I mean what better way to nourish your children than with your own "food creation" from the heart. One day I happened to be hanging out with this friend when she was feeding her little girl and WOW! You could smell the garlic coming off of that baby food from across the room! That little girl must have had a "tough as steel" immune system growing up! I joke, but seriously, I love the fact that this mama took the time and put love into her daughter's food. She thought about what tastes good and provided that food experience for her little girl at such a young age. I often think about the foods that I ate while growing up, and while I do not remember what I ate as a baby, I know that it was alway prepared with love. Love for the experience of eating something delicious, trying something new, or falling back on the comfort of a good ol' favorite recipe. Food is what fuels us, but it is so much more than that. We develop a taste for spicy things and that ties into the music we listen to while we are eating it... Salsa music with salsa and chips? We have a bad day and all we want is a good bread bowl filled with mom's homemade chicken noodle soup...Comfort food and a cozy fire. It is a part of who we are and a journey to who we will become. I have enjoyed my journey...even my short stint as a vegetarian... Have you enjoyed yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment